The government has recently introduced computer science to the national curriculum, so that students will be able to learn how to create their own software.
I grew up with early computers such as the ZX Spectrum, and was writing simple programs from the age of five. Thirty years on, I now have 13 years experience working as a programmer in the videogames industry. I've worked on games that have sold millions, including Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, Kinectimals and Kinect Disneyland Adventures.
I am available for individual tuition on:
- GCSE, A-Level and degree-level Computer Science
- General purpose programming skills
- Game programming and development
- Web development
- App development
No previous programming experience is necessary. Tuition is available both locally (Newmarket and Cambridge area) and nationally (via Skype or Google Hangouts, using screen sharing).
A standard tutoring session costs £33 for 45 minutes. There is a discount of £2 per session if you book and pay for 4 or more sessions in advance, and a discount of £3 per session if you book off-peak times (weekday daytimes, and during the summer holidays).
Due to a health condition, I require a 15 minute break in the middle of the session - this works quite well in practice as I can ask the student(s) to try a task during the break and then give feedback on their work in the second half of the session.
I started tutoring in early 2015. Since then a number of my students have taken their exams. ‘K’ got an A in his Cambridge International GCSE - my estimation was that he had previously been on course for a C or a D. ‘A’ got a C in his GCSE - he said that he felt he would have failed if it wasn't for my help. ‘M’ got an A* in his GCSE.
For A-level and GCSE students, I produce a comprehensive spreadsheet to keep track of their progress - listing each part of the course syllabus, including my own notes on the topics and links to relevant resources. I also maintain a number of YouTube playlists of videos relevant to the courses.
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a session or for more information.
(I am also a first aider with St John Ambulance and was CRB checked when I joined them in mid 2012)
More about me
- Dog's Life (2003) - PlayStation 2
- RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 (2004) - PC
- RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Soaked! (2005) - PC
- RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Wild! (2005) - PC
- Thrillville (2006) - PS2, Xbox, PSP
- Thrillville: Off the Rails (2007) - PS2, XBox 360, Wii, PC
- LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias (2009) - Wii
- Kinectimals (2010) - XBox 360
- Kinect Disneyland Adventures (2011) - XBox 360
- Elite Dangerous (2014) - PC
Programming languages I've worked in
- 68000 and LMC assembly language
- Training languages such as BASIC, Pascal, LOGO and Scratch
Technologies I've worked with include
- Ruby on Rails (web development framework)
- Unity (game development system)
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF)